Sunday, November 30, 2008

From turkey to snowman

Michelle's Frosty Snowman Hat

My Tommy Turkey Hat

Did you know that a turkey can become a snowman? Well, Michelle Thomas, a member of the hottest new Yahoo Group Knifty Knitter Loom Knitting Group, shows us how. She took my Tommy Turkey pattern and with some creative changes morphed him into a Frosty Snowman hat. I was so impressed that I got Michelle's permission to post the picture along with her changes on my blog. Thanks Michelle for sharing what is sure to be the hit of the season for all the loom knitters. Now, here are Michelle's instructions:

Frosty Hat
(original Tommy Turkey Pattern by Brenda Myers. Adaption to Frosty by Michelle Thomas)

Materials needed

  • Red or Green KK Loom
  • KK Spool Loom
  • White yarn (for face)
  • Black yarn (for hat)
  • Orange yarn (for nose)
  • Color of your choice (for "scarf" and stripe on hat)
  • Black buttons or beads (for eyes)
  • Knitting tool
  • Plastic yarn needle

Brim:

  • E-wrap cast on
  • E-wrap stitch 14 rows
  • Bring first row up and place loops back on pegs. Knit off.

Face:

  • Change to white
  • E-wrap stitch 9 rows

Hat:

  • Change to black
  • E-wrap stitch 1 row
  • Rib stitch (k1, p1, k1, p1 .... ) 8 rows
  • Bring the loops from the first BLACK row back up onto the pegs (like when doing brim) and knit off
  • Change to color that matches "scarf"
  • E-wrap stitch 4 rows
  • Change to black
  • E-wrap stitch 9 rows

Bind off:

  • Move loop on peg 1 to peg 2
  • Move loop 3 to peg 4
  • Move loop 5 to peg 6
  • Keep moving odd loops to even pegs until you have all of them like that. Knit off
  • E-wrap pegs with loops on them (go behind pegs without loops) Knit off
  • Thread needle with working yarn and do a gathered bind off.

Nose:

  • On small end of Spool Loom cast on in orange
  • Purl 2 rows
  • E-wrap stitch 4 rows
  • Gathered bind off
  • Pull yarn to inside of nose
  • Attach purled end to center of face with orange yarn.

Eyes:
With black thread tie on 2 black buttons or beads.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

upggiThank you soooo much for posting these patterns I try to make as many hats as possible in all sizes for the local soup kitchen they will be having their Christmas party soon, and I just brought down 166 hats for them to give as gifts. this will be in their box for next year...... to late for this year...... thanks again

Robin McCoy said...

Aw, that's cute. I don't think I would have ever looked at the Tommy Turkey and saw a Frosty...but THAT is creativity at it's best, isn't it? :D

guppygirl said...

Brenda, that is absolutely adorable! Isn't it fun to see where people take your designs? Hope your holidays were great. Hugs

Ambitious Blonde said...

How absolutely adorable! You are so dang creative. :)

Anonymous said...

That is soooo CUTE! I want to thank you for posting the patterns! Hope you have a great Holdiay! The children in church will love these!

Thanks

Dawn said...

I just started to really get into making hats more and am excited to do the snowman. I'm going to be searching your site even more to see what else I can do since I'm finally learning to do more on the looms. Thanks for sharing and can't wait to try the Christmas Egg!

KerryAnn Foster said...

This is just the cutest thing I've seen in a while. I'm going to have to run out to see if I can find some yarn to make some of these before Christmas!

CatzInTheHouse said...

Just came upon your adorable hats. They are way too cute. Thanks so much for sharing your pattern. I am going to make them for my three little guys ages 2,3,4. They are like having triplets some days. And I am thinking for the shelter for next year. Many blessings, Mama Cat BTW have you ever thought of adding a "follow me" gadget to your blog?

Brenda GA, Dome-Dweller said...

Thanks Mama Cat! I currently have two of my grandchildren ages 3 & 4, so I sort of know what you are talking about. Also, since the Followers gadget is sort of new, I just never noticed it before you mentioned it. It has now been added.

mariclet said...

Thank you so much for sharing this patterns they are very nice I already knitted the bells for my chritsmas tree and the wreaths also this hats are very nice I am starting one for my daughter she loves them

Brenda GA, Dome-Dweller said...

So glad you're enjoying the patterns. I really have fun doing them.

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to use something else for the nose.. I don't have the spool loom:( and I don't think they sell it in Norway...:( But I have this:

http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.116894823.jpg

can I use that for the nose??
also will it fit a 6 year olds head with a loom with 31 pegs??

Brenda GA, Dome-Dweller said...

The nose is just an I-cord which is made on the spool loom. You can make an I-cord on a regular loom. Isela Phelps has directions for making I-cord on the looms here:
http://isela.typepad.com/loomknitting/tutorials.html

If your six-year old has a small head, the 31-peg loom will work; however, I prefer the 36-peg loom for anyone over 3 or 4 years old. It really just depends on the size of the child.

Anonymous said...

i made this hat twice , took me 3 hours each and everybody simnply whent coucous for them they love it! thanks so mich for sharing it with us.
Christina,
Montreal,Canada

Furyan Goddess said...

I just made the turkey hat for my daughter, who turns nine in a few days. She was so excited to wear it to school today.

My 5 yr old son wants Frosty, so that's today's project. Thanks for the cuteness!

Brenda GA, Dome-Dweller said...

So glad you like the turkey hat! There are so many variations you can make, too: snowman, Santa, leprechaun, Easter bunny, etc. Thanks for commenting!

Brenda GA, Dome-Dweller said...

Mary, if you look in the "Materials Needed" list in this blog post you'll see that this pattern was written for either the 31-peg red or 36-peg green Knifty Knitter. However, with a little adjustment, you could make it on just about any round loom.

Divine Mama 2012 said...

Can anyone explain what is k1 p1 im a first time loomer and im trying out making diff hats id love to make this one and the turkey one can anyone help start me off please

String Ya Along said...

Knit one.purl one

Anonymous said...

What a Lovely hat Brenda,the hat will be in my TOP list for my Grand Daughter. HUGs :)

Sandra Pape said...

What kind of string did you use to make it look so bulky, so to speak?

Anonymous said...

cant wait to try this pattern but is there other way to make the nose? I dont have that tool

Anonymous said...

For a teen would the 36 peg loom still work or should I use the 41 peg loom instead?

Brenda GA, Dome-Dweller said...

It depends on the size of the teen. A small teen would probably be OK with the 36-peg loom, but a large teen (head size 22-24 inches) would need the 41-peg loom or the 48-peg Adult Hat Loom.

Anonymous said...

I am a little confused about the bind off. If I move odd loops to even loops then knit off then my hat will be off my loom so how will I do the e-wrap next? Just need a little help in this spot, Thanks love this hat.

Brenda GA, Dome-Dweller said...

You asked: "If I move odd loops to even loops then knit off then my hat will be off my loom so how will I do the e-wrap next?"

Answer: After moving the loops you will have two loops on every other peg and when you knit off you are knitting two loops together which will leave one loop on every other peg. Finally, E-wrap the pegs with loops on them going behind pegs without loops and then knit off. Finally, thread needle with working yarn and do a gathered bind off.

Anonymous said...

Love to see this snowman hat on YouTube Thanks love this hat.