Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Blossom, the hip-hop flower bunny

Stand me in the corner, because I'm a bad student. I was suppose to be working on Ann Bipes Easter Bunny for LoomClass this week, but I had already started my own bunny design on the Knifty Knitter blue loom a few days earlier. The blue loom was the loom needed for the LoomClass project so I knew I was in trouble. I only had a few rows of my own project completed on the loom and could have removed it to do the assigned project, but I had several new techniques that I wanted to experiment with and I was afraid if I didn't do it while it was still on my mind that I would completely forget. The results of my bad behavior is Blossom Bunny, a loom knitted bunny with a soft sculpted face.

As stated earlier, Blossom was made on the 24-peg blue Knifty Knitter. Starting at the tail end, I used a drawstring cast on (see the Easter egg pattern), worked six rows of flat knit stitch, plus two rows of u-wrap stitch and then closed the bottom area using the drawstring. The largest part of the body was completed with eighteen e-wrap rows. For the neck area, I decreased using the flat knit stitch by k2tog across the row. When I reached the end of the row, I cut the working yarn leaving a six inch yarn tail. Decreasing this much on a loom is usually a problem, but by working the decreases using a flat knit stitch the tension can be adjusted to accommodate the stationary pegs while knitting and later by using the cut yarn tail as a drawstring.

Leaving another six inch yarn tail in the new working yarn, I continued to flat knit the twelve pegs with loops and cast the working yarn on over the empty pegs. On the next two rows, I flat knit all twenty-four pegs to complete the neck area of the head. Continuing with the head, I worked twelve rows of u-wrap stitches, three rows of flat knit stitches in the nose area and ended with open gathered bind off.

The body is stuffed with fiberfill using a knee high stocking as a liner. The neck area is cinched from the inside to the desired size using the yarn tails and then tied off. Pull the stocking liner into the head area and continue stuffing. When the stuffing has been completed, the gathered bind off is cinched shut and tied off.

Other parts include the legs, ears, tail and face. The legs were knitted from feet up using the drawstring cast on and sixteen rows of flat knit stitches on the 8-peg end of the Knifty Knitter spool loom. The ears were worked as a flat panel on the blue loom starting with eight rows of six stitches, then increasing a stitch at the beginning and end of row nine and knitting a total of eight rows with eight stitches. The ear is completed by k2tog at the beginning of each row until only one stitch is left on the peg. The tail is a big white pompom stitched over the initial cast on spot. The face is soft sculpted, which really brings the bunny to life, with a pink embroidered nose and big brown wooden beads for eyes.

Now that Blossom has been completed, I'll do the Anne's Easter Bunny so Blossom will have a friend.

22 comments:

jklawless@earthlink.net said...

I just love this little hip-hop bunny! The face has such character. You have such a wonderful imagination and with your looming skill, the result is wonderful projects for the rest of us to knit.

Thanks again,
Jeannine

Martha said...

OMG - that is just too cute. You will have to do a sheet on it, so I can give it a try. :)

You are just too creative

Simply Me ... said...

That is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Brenda,
You've outdone yourself yet again! The bunny is just so-o-o cute! Such character.
Thanks

Kelley said...

Aaawww! I love his little face.

Brenda GA, Dome-Dweller said...

Thank you for the comments! When my children were small I made soft sculptured toys for them and on a whim decided to try it on the bunny. Of course, this opens more doors of exploration for other character toys. Hey, I've got grandchildren, so I've got a good excuse ;-)

Mary said...

This is the best loomed bunny out there! Thanks for making your lovely patterns available for free :) Although, I wouldn't blame you if you started charging us for them ;)

Nancy said...

Brenda, you are one talented lady! I am new to loom knitting and I am interested in making stuffed animal toys for kids. I have a question about stuffing the bunny--you said that you used a knee sock to hold the stuffing. Was it a sheer material like pantyhose? Did you sew it closed at the open end? Thanks!
Nancy

Brenda GA, Dome-Dweller said...

Hey Nancy,
Making stuffed toys has always been one of my favorite things. I've been making dolls and such since I was a teen. For Blossom, I used knee-high pantyhose as a liner for the stuffing. After stuffing, I just trimmed off the excess pantyhose, leaving about an inch & a-half, then twisted it shut. To finish, I cinched the gathered bind off to close the outer knit opening, tied off and secured the yarn tails.

If you need to contact me directly, I have my email address as the footer in all my online patterns.

Tasha said...

Hi Brenda!!
SOOOOOOOOOO CUTE! easter is past, but i think I'll make some anyway. Will it work on a 24 peg regular gauge loom?

Thanks!
Tasha

Brenda GA, Dome-Dweller said...

Hey Tasha,
Bunnies aren't just for Easter. Blossom was modeled after a wild rabbit that my husband named Monsieur. I raised Monsieur and then set him free when he reached adulthood. He went on to father many other wild bunny babies, but he would occasionally drop by to visit us for many years thereafter. Even now, 20 years later, I'll see a little brown bunny and think it might be one of Monsieur's descendants.

Tasha said...

but will it work on a 24 peg regular gauge loom? sorry I'm a beginner...

Brenda GA, Dome-Dweller said...

I used the 24-peg blue Knifty Knitter round loom, which is somewhere between regular gauge and large gauge. I don't know what brand of loom you are using, but just about any 24-peg loom should work. If you need to contact me, my email address is in the footer of my online patterns.

Anonymous said...

Wow! you are simply amazing.

Paolina
Cynsofdm

Martha said...

any chance you will be doing a pdf file of this? I would like to have the instructions handy.

Paul said...

Good JOb! :)

LindaJ said...

Oh, he is adorable! yet another great exciting loomed project. I am still amazed at your talent!

Fantastic job, Brenda!
LindaJ

Jamie said...

Hi!
Stumbled upon this bunny...adorable!
I want to try this needle pattern on the kk blue loom, but I've never made a stuffed animal before. I was thinking of double stitching most of it. Here is the "Sackboy" pattern:
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00686/SKM49_2__proj_sackb_686954a.pdf

Any tips would be helpful!
Thanks,
Jamie

Brenda GA, Dome-Dweller said...

Jamie, the Sack Boy pattern would be easy to do on the looms. I would either use the double stitch or a very tight flat knit stitch. These are the looms I would recommend if you are using the KK: Head, 24-peg Blue loom for head; Body, 12-peg Flower loom; and Arms, 8-peg Spool Loom. For the Feet & Legs you may want more versatility in varying the sizes of the components, so you could use the long looms with the adjustable clips.

Jamie said...

Thank you again! I'll try it out!

Rebecca said...

This is soooo cute, love it, however, I am struggling to finish
up the project, I cannot figure out the K2tog stitch. Obviously I am a new knitter, so could you please elaborate on how to do the neck, I am so confused, thanks

Ann Marie said...

I love your blog and this bunny is just the cutest thing.