After having fun with the Lovebugs, here are a few more Double Hearts projects for Valentine's Day. The first super simple project (actually more of an idea than a project) features two of the medium-sized Double Hearts attached to an I-cord. Doing this allows you to use a Lark's Head Knot and attach them wherever you like. A full explanation of the the medium-sized Double Hearts, I-cord and Lark's Head Knot are included in a modified pattern call Heartstrings.
My good friend Althea Burger sent me two more Valentine projects that she created using the Double Hearts pattern, too. The first isn't a new pattern at all, but a modification of two previous patterns, the Double Hearts and Ghost Angel. Here the Valentine Angel is knitted in pink and features the matching pink Double Hearts for her wings and a red heart for the heart in her hands.
Althea's other creation using the Double hearts is called Love Birds. Below are pictures of two different versions of the Love Birds, along with Althea's directions for making them.
Lovebirds on the Loom
- Pink or red "Double Heart"
- 2 plastic eggs 2.35 inches
- Knifty Knitter Flower Loom 12 pegs
- Small amount of white 4 ply yarn (the yarn I used with silver thread though it does not stretch well on the loom and I don't recommend it, but it's pretty)
- Small amount of gold or yellow 4 ply yarn for beak.
- Small amount of black 4 ply yarn for eyes.
- 2 Styrofoam balls 1 inch (25 mm)
- Yarn Needle
- Use flower loom and drawstring cast on. Knit for 10 rows and cinch the CO edge closed. Hide ends.
- Knit for 18 more rows leave 12 inch tail. Use yarn needle to remove from loom and place the plastic egg and a Styrofoam ball inside piece before drawing up the end. The Styrofoam ball for the head should rest on top the larger end of the egg. Do not cut yarn.
Use the tail of yarn from the body and yarn needle to thread yarn through piece, up and under ball and around it to make the neck. Draw it up tight and tie off.
- Cut 15 inch piece of yarn (if using yarn with silver thread though it, remove silver strand first). Fold the yarn in half twice.
- Use small amount of yarn to tie the folded pieces in the center.
- Sew this to the smaller end of egg for the tail. Cut the loops.
- Use needle to separate yarn strands to make them fluff. Trim to whatever length you want.
- Do the same with a smaller piece of yarn for the top of the head. Fluff that too.
Use gold or yellow and just sew a few stitches on bird's face and then using same piece of yarn sew other bird's beak (so they are attached and look like they are kissing). Tie off.
Use a small piece of black yarn, separate it into 2 ply strands and make French knots or you can leave the faces blank or even make eyes with a black marker. I found I can hide my yarn ends by pushing the yarn needle right through the Styrofoam ball and cut off excess yarn.
HeartMake red or pink Double Heart from pattern and add to front of birds. You could attach it with yarn or glue it. It should also help the birds to stand up.