Tuesday, February 06, 2007

My cheatin' hearts: small gauge knitting on a large gauge loom

When I made the finger puppets (see previous entry), I discovered the most wonderful thing: how to get a small gauge look on a large gauge loom, so I decided to apply this technique to designing some little decorative hearts. These little hearts can be used on hats, scarves, as pins, gifts, etc. Typically, when you make a heart shape, you have to knit the top sections separately, similar to the HGTV's Heart Pillow. However, not only did I cheat by making a small gauge project on a large gauge loom, I used the "hang hem" technique to shape the top of my little hearts. I wrote the pattern up and put a link to the PDF file in my pattern box on the right, or you can access it here. I hope you enjoy these as much as I enjoyed creating them.

8 comments:

Lynn Markman said...

Brenda! I'm a sucker for hearts! what a lovely Valentine!

Your instructions are terrific!

Looming Possibilities!
Lynn Markman
A Loom Lady
www.markmanfarm.com

Anonymous said...

HI, your site is great with easy to follow instructions. Thank you for giving us these patterns. You are very talented.


Thank You
Victoria
NY

Renee' said...

I love these. I can see them on a little pillow in the corner of my favorite chair!

Thanks,

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Jen said...

Ditto of those above. And how cute that they look like little rose petals.

Jen
http://scrapdash.blogspot.com

Heather said...

i'm in love with these little hearts! thank you so much for posting the instructions. i'm TRULY a beginner, but your instructions seem very clear and easy to follow. i may even get adventurous and try to add some black yarn to the middle to 'break them! thanks again ♥

Liz said...

What gorgeous little hearts! I will definitely do some for Thursday. I have added you as a link, hope it's ok. I'm having a blogoversary competition, so come on over and visit!

melissa134 said...

How did you do a small gauge on a larger loom?

Brenda GA, Dome-Dweller said...

Fine gauge knitting on a large gauge loom is referring to using a flat knit stitch, which will give you a much smaller gauge than using the e-wrap stitch.